Square breathing to calm the mind
Square breathing is one of the simplest breathing techniques I know to calm your nervous system, which will calm your mind and your body. And the beauty of it is that you can do it literally anywhere!
How to do square breathing
- Visualize the four sides of a square in your mind’s eye. Or find a square shape in front of you. e.g. the window of the bus.
- Inhale as your mind travels along the first side of the square. You may want to count slowly up to 5 of 6. It can be any number, as long as you are focusing on slowing your breath down.
- Hold your breath as you travel along the next side. Again counting to 5 or 6.
- Exhale as you travel along the third side. Counting to 5 or 6 slowly.
- Hold your breath as you travel along the final side counting to 5 or 6 slowly.
- Start again.
- Do 3 or 4 sets. Or as many as you feel like.
- Check-in with your body. What physical sensations are you aware of? Do you feel calmer than before?
For more breathing, movement and rest techniques, hop on over to the Resources page.
If you would like to ask me what Counselling or body psychotherapy is all about, I offer a FREE 20-minute discovery session by phone for new clients. You can also book this online by clicking the button below.